Monday 29 August 2011

Reflection on Session Four (25/8/2011)

 Session Four (25/8/2011)
It was very interesting when we played the number guessing game. I was amazed when Dr Yeap managed to guess the number correctly. He’s a real “magician”! We were taught the logic behind the trick. After trying for few times and understanding the ways it works, even I could do it (by either using multiple of nine or algebra). Back in my centre, I tried this game with some of my teachers and I got the answers right.
We moved on to fraction. Using the colored paper we tried different numbers of fraction. From the various hands on experiences, I know realized clearly that being equal does not have to be identical. We have to look at the area of each shape to justify whether they are of equal size. Throughout the various activities, I tried my best to contextualize the ideas to Early Childhood setting.
On usual occasion, my teacher will teach children whole and part by showing them pictures on the board before letting them to do it in the worksheet. Hence, I adopt what I have learnt in class, brought forward and simplified the activity (finding equal parts) with my K2 children. They were able to find the equal parts of squares, rectangles and triangles. But I did not go beyond asking them to count the quantities of the shapes.  While I enjoyed each and every session, my main objective is that I should be able to put into practice what I have learnt and most importantly, it must be beneficial to the children. And I am glad I managed to do just that.

Children having the hands on experience on finding equal parts.

Surprisingly, they did not stop at half of equal size but moved on to quarters as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment