Sunday 28 August 2011

Reflection on Session Three (24/8/2011)

It was a continuation of yet another interesting session. It started off with Peggy asking us to try guessing the meaning of lesson study. She threw the ball to me and I had to guess what lesson study was. I have not heard of lesson study before but from the word I guessed it had something to do with teacher conducting the lesson, look into the areas that can be improved, comes out with plan of action and finally conduct an improvised lesson. Many other suggestions were given pertaining to lesson study such as it involved curriculum, the lessons, the observations and such. Amidst all these suggestions, one of the cores (I would say) would be the incorporation of range of challenges depending on children’s learning abilities in all the lessons.
From the two videos that we watched, I have learnt a great deal on the factors that categorizes good teaching of Mathematics. Most often, the categories are lesson content itself, teacher’s attitude, sitting arrangement, classroom management and communication, be it teacher-child or child-child interaction.
Indeed it was very practical to conduct lesson study as there is a direct involvement with children; hence we will be able to see the “real” result of our lesson. This topic on lesson study, somehow reminded me of the module that I did before on Action Research. To me, it seems somewhat similar. However upon clarifying with Peggy, I than realized the difference – Action Research is dealing with children in the controlled group whereas lesson study is just as a whole class. As this session focused more on observation and teaching strategies and “less” on numbers, I understood it better and was able to participate more actively – something which I very much wanted to do in every class session.  

We also did the manipulative and tried to construct various structures bearing in mind that one should not be similar to the other (when it was rotated or in different orientation). From this activity and many others, I realized that great focus is given on being equal but not identical. Till now, I am still trying to see the rationale behind it apart from seeing it mathematically.  Could it be that – As teachers, we must be flexible in accepting various ideas and suggestions from the children when they are attempting to solve problem. Also, it could be for the purpose of stretching children’s logical and creative thinking skills. (I am still pondering on it).

Doing of addition activity by first using concrete materials. Bearing in mind the different level of children's abilities (as always mention in class) I gave each child different amount of ice-cream sticks to work with.
For the average and lower ability level children, they were given lesser ice-cream sticks such that the total amount will either be equal or fewer than 9 and the total values will be equal or fewer than 5 respectively.


Those with higher ability level were given more ice-cream sticks so that they can do addition with total values up to two digits number.

No comments:

Post a Comment